- Gautama Buddha is also known with his names like Siddhartha, Sakyamuni, and Tathagata.
- He was born in the year 563 BC (widely accepted).
- He was born on the Vaisakha Purnima day at Lumbini, near Kapilvastu, the capital of the Sakya republic.
- He left home at the age of 29 which is called Mahabhinishkaramn.
- He attained Nirvana at the age of 35 on the bank of Niranjana River at Bodh Gaya, India. This is called Sambodhi.
- His first sermon was delivered at Sarnath.
- His first teacher was Alar Kalam Sankhya.
- His Fist female pupil was Gautami Prajapati.
- Gautam Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana at Kusinara in 483 BC.
Read Also: Jainism History Notes
Doctrine of Buddha
Four Noble Truth
- Dukkha- Life is full of Sorrow
- Dukkha Samudaya- Causes of Sorrow
- Dukkha Nirodh- It can be stopped.
- Dukkha Nirodh Gamini Pratipoda- Following Eight folded Path.
Eight Folded Path
- Right Understanding
- Right Speech
- Right Livelihood
- Right Mindfulness
- Right Thoughts
- Right Action
- Right Efforts
- Right Concentration
After the death of Gautam Buddha, a meeting was called by Ajatshatru called Council (Sangiti) for compiling the sayings and teachings of Gautama Buddha.
Buddhist Councils (Sangiti)
|First- (483 BC)||Ajatshatru||Rajgir||Mahakasayapa||2 Books|
|Second- 383 BC||Kalashoka||Vaishali||Sabakami||Buddhism divided into 2 parts.|
|Third- 250 BC||Ashoka||Patliputra||Mogalipottas||One Book called |
|Fourth- 100 AD||Kanishka||Kashmir||President- Vasumitra|
V. President- Ashwa Ghosh
|Fifth- 7 AD||Harshvardhan||Kannauj|
Note: Read More: Branches of Science
5 great events of Gautama Buddha’s Life and their Symbols-
Read More: Branches of Science