What is Hydrostatics
Hydrostatics Definition: The Branch of science which deals with the study of fluids at rest.
Read Also- Fluid Mechanics: Objective Questions
- It states that the pressure or intensity of pressure at a point in a fluid at rest is equal in all directions.
- Let consider a fluid at rest in a closed container then a change in pressure at one point will be transmitted without loss to every point of the fluid and to the walls of the container.
- The rate of increase of pressure in the vertical direction is equal to the weight density of the fluid at that point.
Where p= pressure
Z= height from the surface
Pressure Measurement Terms
- Pressure measured with reference to absolute zero pressure.
- Pressure measured with reference to the atmospheric pressure.
- The pressure is below the atmospheric pressure.
Read Also- Surface Tension & Capillary Action
Relationships between these Pressures
Pabs = Pgauge + Patm
Pvacuum = Patm – Pabs
Measurement of Pressure on a Fluid (devices)
- MANOMETERS- Simple and Differential
- MECHANICAL GAUGES
Read More- Non-Newtonian Fluids